Saturday, July 23, 2016

Finding your Home



"Home, let me come home
Home is wherever I'm with you" - Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros


From mansions in the California hills, to one bedroom apartments in the ghetto, these are not homes. By definition, sure, I guess they are. They have four walls and a roof on top. There is more to it than just that. After moving about 14 times, I have lost count, I have learned that these structures are not "home". 

Home is a place were you should feel secure and save. It should be a place were no matter how shitty your day was, you fill feel warm and loved at home. Some people are lucky. They grow up in one house, never move, and when their parents pass they take over. And the process begins again. But most of us know the heart ache that moving brings and how quickly we learn nothing is permanent. 

Home is not a structure. Home is not your 4 bedroom house, with a finished basement, and a big fucking jacuzzi bathtub in your room. Home is a much greater thing. Home is that feeling you get laying in your lovers arms. It is that peace you feel when they welcome you home after a long day of work. You are home when you gaze into their eyes and feel as if the rest of the world does not matter. Only your partner matters. 

These don't even have to be romantic relationships. We can feel at home with a friend. How they always have some clever job to tell you will you are feeling down. Home is knowing, no matter how deep our head is up our own ass, they are their to pull you out. They are there to remind you who you are and that everything is ok. 

So to me, I guess home is a person. A friend, a lover, a partner in crime, and or just a pal. Someone who loves your presence and who will be your 4 walls and your room. As clique as this sounds home really is where the heart is. And I am not trying to sell you some sappy Hallmark bullshit, home is really where the heart is. 

Even though with in the year I will probably have to pack my life away into cardboard boxes again, I feel like I am finally home. I found those special people in my life that I love, that I care about, and I know they will always be by my side and I will be right next to theirs everyday. No matter what. Period.

Where is your home? Are you there now?

So it goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment