Friday, July 22, 2016

I was so tired

   

The mosquitoes did not bother me anymore. The itchy bumps they provide were just a part of me. My sweat had become my second skin, making me shine in the heavy sun. My stomach was empty but I had no time to be hungry. The constant whoosh of the helicopter propellers left a deafening ring in my ears. I was young and I was scared. But above all, I was fucking tired.

I was tired of the constant battles. I was tired of hiding in the tall grass, praying the bullets missed me. I was tired of murdering soldiers, and having to watch my comrades raid villages. I was tired of watching them rape and murder the citizens who begged to them on their knees. My friend, Arthur, and I were the only ones who stood and watched it happen. 

Arthur was the only thing I was never tired of. We were friends since middle school. We did everything together. We even got drafted into the war together. Everyone in bootcamp new us as the weak links. We did not care, we stood by each others side through it all. We did not care when we were getting shouted insults. "Stupid gays!" "Fucking Fags!" We did not care, we still loved each other. We did not care when everyone forgot are names and referred to us as 'Homo 1' and 'Home 2'.

As I bent down, trying to revive Homo 2, thats when I realized how tired I was of the bullshit of war. Arthur was gone, the war took away the only good thing in my life. I did not care if we won the war or not, I just wanted to go home. 

So it goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment